Header Schemes

Navigation route

Nested applications



The International Relations Service at Tecnun aims to promote, develop and implement international academic programs related to the exchange of undergraduate and postgraduate students, the coordination of activities related to the search for academic development opportunities supported by international sources and the coordination of international liaison that requires an institutional component.

students_internationalisation_btn_Tecnun Short Term Programs

Web Content Viewer (Global)

Who we are


Javier Ganuza Canals


International Relations Service

+34 943 219877 Extension: 2450

Marcela Maltez Dalri


International Relations Service

+34 943 219877 Extension: 2408

Carol Cullinane

International Coordinator

International Relations Service

+34 943 219877 Extension: 2504


If you are an incoming student.
This is of interest to you.

Slide the scroll



Nested applications

Nested applications


Before arriving

The application is only for students belonging to partner universities. In order to apply, students must have the approval of their university. If a student does not belong to a partner university, but wishes to participate in the exchange programme at TECNUN , he/she should contact his/her International Relations Office.


Once the nomination has been made, we will need the coordinator to complete the online application form and provide the following details:

  • Pupil's first name/surname
  • Date of birth
  • E-mail address
  • Sex
  • Nationality
  • Qualification
  • Years completed
  • Semester
  • University of origin/Country



Once the nomination deadline has passed, the International Relations Office will send information and instructions to the student to continue with the admission process.

In order to apply for admission, the following documentation is required:

  • Fill in the online registration form
  • A scanned photo
  • Scanned copy of passport
  • Nomination letter from your university
  • Proof of health insurance for the exchange period
  • Qualification dossier


The application deadlines are as follows:

1st semester or the whole academic year:

  • New nomination deadline: 1 May 2020
  • New application deadline: 20 May 2020

2nd semester:

  • Nomination deadline: 15 September
  • Application deadline: 15 October



Once the International Relations Service has assessed the application and academic transcript, the student will receive a letter of acceptance together with additional information.
The letter of acceptance can also be used to apply for a residence permit or visa if necessary.

Tecnun provides the information needed to easily and efficiently find different types of accommodation to suit the different types of students who choose to study at the University.

  • University Halls of Residence

  • University residences

  • Student flats

EU/EEA citizens

Students from the European Union or from Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway will need a passport to enter Spain. Once they are in the country, they must carry their passport with them at all times. 

Non-EU/EEA nationals

Students who are not from the European Union or from Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland must apply for a student visa at the Spanish embassy or consulate of their country of residence, completing all the documents required by the authorities.

Before arriving in Spain, the visa must be stamped by the Immigration Department or it will be considered invalid.

More info

EU citizens

Persons from EU Member States, including Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, must obtain a European Health Insurance Card or have personal health insurance to access health care services.

During the stay abroad, this card ensures access to Spanish public health care in the same way as Spanish citizens do.

The European Health Insurance Card is not valid in the following cases

  • Receiving a treatment that you had before travelling

  • Receiving private health care

Non-EU citizens

Students from non-EU countries must take out personal health insurance to cover them for the entire duration of their stay in Spain. Copies of these documents may have to be presented at the embassy when applying for a student visa, as well as at the university.

In case of an emergency, it is essential to always carry a copy with you while living and travelling abroad.

The usual procedure for receiving medical assistance is to contact the insurance company, which will provide a list of medical services in the area of residence, in this case, San Sebastian. The student must then contact them directly and pay in advance for the service and treatment received. Subsequently, they must send the invoices and the required documentation to their insurance company so that they can be reimbursed. Your insurance policy will detail the procedure to be followed in each case.


On arrival

TECNUN organises a Welcome Day for all international students with the aim of helping them to integrate and adapt to daily life in TECNUN and San Sebastian.

The Welcome Day is organised on the eve of the start of classes, where students are given a tour of the school to get to know the facilities at TECNUN (libraries, study rooms, computer rooms, etc.). 

They will also have the opportunity to meet their advisor and buddy, as well as the rest of their colleagues.

Once registered as students of TECNUN, they will receive a Student Card with which they will be able to access the centre's facilities. It is important that students always carry their student card with them.

The Welcome Programme is free of charge.

  • Undergraduate subjects: No language qualification is required. However, it is recommended to have a B2 level of Spanish if you are going to take subjects in Spanish.

  • Master's Degree subjects: you must present a B2 level certificate in Spanish.

  • Research projects: no knowledge of Spanish is required. Projects can be carried out in English.

Both Bachelor's and Master's courses are taught entirely in English and partly in English/Spanish.
The number of subjects taught in English is continuously increasing.


The Institute of Spanish Language and Culture (ILCE), which belongs to the Faculty of Philosophy and Letters of the University of Navarra, has been offering courses in Spanish language, culture, literature and history since 1967, as well as personalised programmes for international students and universities.

ILCE is a delegated centre of the Instituto Cervantes for the Diploma de Español (DELE) exams.
More information about the Intensive Spanish Programme in the following link:

Further information


TECNUN offers a "Spanish" course during the semester. It is an elective course of 4 ECTS.
There is a minimum and maximum number of participants, and the group is formed at the beginning of the semester according to language level.


The mentoring programme at the University of Navarra is defined as a one-to-one relationship between a professor and a student. The professor provides ongoing support, guidance and concrete help to a student in need of a positive role model.

Counselling is a service that seeks to improve students' academic performance and facilitate their participation in university life. The teacher offers career counselling, outlining the options available and possibilities for further development. Mentors help students to chart personal and cultural goals towards a more personal and efficient form of education.

Counselling is not merely an occasional activity aimed at meeting a specific need at a given moment in time. And it is by no means meaningful only when the student has serious academic needs. It is rather the channel for a permanent relationship between teachers and students, which benefits both.

Faculty care for students through occasional interviews or through scheduled meetings that take place on a regular basis. Regularity is essential if tutoring is to be of any use.

Buddy Programme

In addition, at TECNUN we also have the "Buddy Programme".

The Buddy Programme is a programme that matches new international students with students from Tecnun. The buddy is here to help integrate you during your first weeks in San Sebastian. With this programme you will have first-hand advice from students, some of whom are international students and have been to your place. You will also be in contact with them before you arrive, and will be able to answer any questions you may have before you leave your country.


After arriving

Alien Identification Card

The following documents must be handed in at the police station(Calle Jose María Salaverría, 19)

The original documents, together with a photocopy of each, must be handed in at the police station by appointment. (Tel: +34 943 44 98 17).

  1. Passport and student visa

  2. Certificate of registration of studies or research at TECNUN.

  3. Photograph (passport size).

  4. Certificate of census registration issued by the town hall of San Sebastian.

  5. Credit card

No formalities are required for students on 180-day visas as this type of visa does not require a residence permit. Be sure to leave the country on or before the visa expiry date.

Certificate of the Central Register of Foreigners

The following documents must be handed in at the police station(Calle Jose María Salaverría, 19):

The original documents, together with a photocopy of each, must be handed in at the police station by appointment. (Tel: +34 943 44 98 17).

  1. Identity card issued by the country of origin or passport.

  2. Certificate of registration of studies or research at TECNUN.

  3. Bank proof that you have sufficient money to cover the costs of accommodation and stay during the exchange period.

  4. Medical insurance (European Health Insurance Card).

The Spanish health system is considered one of the best in the world. As an international exchange student at Tecnun you will have access to this health system.

Below you will find useful information for your stay.

Public and Private Health Centres

The Spanish health system consists of both public and private hospitals and health centres.

You can find a health centre in each of the neighbourhoods of San Sebastián. If you need to go to one of them, you should go to the one that corresponds to the area in which you live.

Spain's safest cities

As one of Spain's safest cities, San Sebastian's crime rate is practically non-existent. Howeverso be sure to use your common sense and be aware of your surroundings.

At the moment you are in San Sebastian, our International Relations Office at Tecnun will help you whenever and whatever you need. You can come to the office and ask for Javier or Estibaliz or if you prefer you can send an email to: jganuza@tecnun.es (Javier Ganuza, Director), irs@tecnun.es (Estibaliz Oliva, Secretary).

Our International team wish you all the best at Tecnun School of Engineering!

Safety and emergency checklist for Spain

  • For medical and other urgent emergencies of any nature: dial 112

  • In the case ofrobbery, theft, mild illness, or other non-life threatening contingencies, you`ll have access to a 24-hour emergency telephone service.  

  • In the case of more serious offenses such as any physical aggression, abuse, or sexual assault, first notify the police by calling 112.  

Afterward, notify Javier Ganuza, the Director of International Relations in Tecnun directly.(jganuza@tecnun.es)



If you are an outgoing student.
This is of interest to you.

Slide the scroll


Nested applications

Nested applications


Why go on exchange?

International experience plays a key role in higher education. Fluency in several languages and experience of living abroad is becoming increasingly important when it comes to finding an attractive job or pursuing postgraduate studies.



Where can I go on exchange?

Tecnun has around 79 partnership agreements with universities on all continents.

Consult the document at "List of Exchange Programme Universities (2022-2023)". to know in more detail which are the countries and universities where you can go on exchange.

This document specifies for which degrees the course offer of the host university is compatible and for which semester.

Students who want to do an exchange to study subjects will have to look for universities in their degree with the "X" in the "CO" column.

If you want to do an exchange in the second semester and carry out the Final Degree Project there, you will have to look for universities where both CO and PFG are marked.

Students who wish to carry out a Final Degree Project during a whole semester, after taking all the subjects, will have to choose universities marked in PFC.

This document also specifies for which Master's degree the Final Master's Project (PFM) can be carried out in a laboratory of a foreign university, or in which universities a Double Master's Degree (Double MSc) can be taken.